Monday 5 March 2012

I just don't get it.

Do you always get it? I don't. Sometimes I think I am a man out of sync with the rest of the world or perhaps I am just to naive or uncultured.

I began to notice it as a child. I never followed trends. Whilst my peers were raving over this group or that piece of clothing or some girl or other, I just didn't get it. Why would I want to follow something that everyone else did? Why not be a little individual? It always amused the hell out of me as one pop culture fad was replaced by another. I smiled as a youth on the television news expressed his individuality by super gluing his hair into the style of a cockatoo and piercing his lips with safety pins, just like all the others who were also expressing their individuality by doing precisely the same thing.

I never had "nights out with the lads" I just didn't get it. A group of husbands together getting pissed in the pub, leaving their bored wives at home seemed like a very bad idea to me. Perhaps that is enough said on this aspect of "not getting it".

I can add whole lists of other things, far too many to mention. A good example would be Bruce Springsteen and the Eagles. I have never heard a single song of his or theirs that I wanted to hear again. I don't get it. The same goes for Sarah Millican, currently the hot spot on the BBC. It is difficult to find schedules without her these days. She is mildly amusing but so is my dog and he has no chance of his own series. There is a perfect example on the Telly now. Alan Titchmarsh. I don't get it. What the hell is the attraction? How do these people manage it?

Hopefully there will be plenty of you who feel the same as me. It was twitter that inspired this blog. There is a Tweeter whose posts are constantly re-tweeted by posters aspiring to be lauded like the object of their adoration. I have seen the odd one that made me smile but nothing that beats stuff posted by the peeps I follow.

I hope I go on not getting it. Supporting the labour party, believing in God, McDonalds, the list goes on. I just hope that when you finish this, you may get me a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment