Thursday 30 June 2011

Goodbye old friend

I will soon be saying goodbye to an old friend. A very old friend indeed. A friend who I have never been separated from since we first met each other. How we used to show off when we were kids. Frightening the girls was a favourite, pre school and at primary. We had outside toilets at our junior school. The girls used to tuck their knickers into their skirts and do hand stands up against the outside wall. Me and my friend could scale the wall with a quick burst of pee and drench them.

As we got older, our tastes changed. Our interest in girls changed too. They were no longer objects of fun but objects of strange curiosity. My friend would stand to attention at the drop of a hat (or the flash of knickers) and goad me into joining him in exploring the pleasures of the flesh. How we gorged. Our relationship became ridiculously close. We went everywhere together. His tastes and senses were far more acute than mine. Often he would take an interest in a girl that I hadn't seen the immediate attraction in. His judgement at first was sound. I never doubted him and his (often reckless) excesses. I forgave him everything.

The girls loved him too. They never seemed to tire of his attention and appreciation. His stamina seemed to know no bounds, and even after an intense workout, he could recover in no time at all and start all over again. I could never envisage a time when we would fall out or not need each other. Our mutual tastes and pleasures were so entwined we were able to spend hours in no-ones company but our own, reminiscing, looking for new challenges, new opportunities.

Then came the bombshell. He seemed to be slowing down. He had lost none of his enthusiasm and his stamina could only be marvelled at, considering his age but, something was wrong. We both knew it and, reluctantly, we confided in physicians in order to find the problem. At first the prognosis was good. We brightened a little. Perhaps we could see this thing through. Our optimism was misplaced. The writing was on the wall.

Within the next few days, our lifelong bond will be broken. Surgery will take away his very essence, his raison d'etre. Oh yes, there is a chance that some recovery will take place, but it is not a good one. Severing of vital organs will totally end the one function he was so damned good at. Never again will I see  that  proud look as he spills all before cosying up and resting until called upon to perform again.

Prostate cancer, I will never forgive you for damaging my oldest most trusted friend. My willy R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment