Thursday 23 June 2011

Different, people, differing opinions.

As D day approaches I have found myself comparing the information I have been told by the three consultants involved since my diagnosis. Eighteen months ago, active surveillance was a no brainer. The Halifax man said my condition was a good one. The cancer was low grade. He couldn't feel it on examination. My life expectancy was a normal one and I could have had it for years already. The chances were that, had I not been examined for a different complaint, I would have died with the cancer, not from it. He agreed with my decision as it was too early to consider surgery.

Eighteen months later he tells me it has increased from around 10% on one side to mid twenties and from none on the other to 11%. There are also traces of the more virulent "gleeson 4" type, although they are almost negligible. No need to worry. All three options still open. My original stricture problem is only small so the fact I sometimes pee down my leg may be due to the prostate swelling. I must add that I don't often pee down my leg. Given the choice, there are a few people around whose legs I would thoroughly enjoy peeing down however. As a second biopsy result is now available it's back to Bradford Oncology (where incidentally chemotherapy was invented) for analysis.
 

In Bradford the radiotherapist strongly advises against this type of treatment due to my stricture and my medical history. Down to two options. Next day surgeon says better out now than inevitable surgery later. Explains the robotic procedure and asks me to consider which option should I choose for surgery. Robotic surgery is only carried out in Leeds and Manchester in our area so an appointment is made at Jimmys.

Last week at consultants in Leeds. Very professional and informative. They reassess all results not relying on previous conclusions. Charts, diagrams and computer forecasts are used and explained in detail. Shakes head wildly at continuing surveillance option. Marks my notes "Urgent within 31 days". Tells us 54% likelihood that cancer is now into nerves on one side and they will have to be removed. 34% chance of "normal" functions eventually. Tells us that cancer on left side is 80% and 20% on the right. Looks skywards when we mention previous consultants remarks on stricture and books me in to look for himself and books me in for a look. Advises it should have been routinely checked before any surgery undertaken. Tells me my appendix op in 1964 could compromise robotic surgery due to potential sticky" tissue where scar lies. I won't know which op I have until I wake up.

Last Friday the Leeds consultant inserts the camera with no difficulty, something Halifax failed to do twice, (the second time leaving me looking like something from a butchers slab). I have no stricture, just slight scarring. The operation can go ahead.

In less than two weeks I have gone from none urgent in one opinion to urgent in the other.Had I had the prostate removed a year ago, the nerves that now have to be removed would have been saved. My chances of normality would be improved. I still have to go online and find out what "dry orgasm" entails.

I'm not complaining but, you do wonder where the reality lies when you put your future in other peoples hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment