Sunday 11 September 2011

A Great Night Out

It's Sunday morning and for many people it will be a day recovering from the excesses of Saturday night. As I watched the T.V. it occurred to me how much life changes as you get older and, more importantly, how much your tastes change.

Some years ago we were having dinner with a couple and John was telling us stories of his life as an athlete. He was a top quality five and ten thousand metres runner having run in the European and Commonwealth games only to just miss out on the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. I asked him if he missed those days and, if he had a wish, would he go back to then and re-live what was an exciting time and lifestyle. His answer both impressed and surprised me and is one I have tried to live by over thirty years after.

In his late teens life was fantastic. He was lauded for his prowess and looked up to by friends and fans alike. Everything was new, to be experienced and enjoyed.

His twenties saw a step up. He continued to tour the world but met his future wife and, late on his first son was born. He loved it.

His thirties took life to a whole new level. He had retired from athletics as he could no longer compete with the new younger breed emerging. He realised the stresses and pressures he had put his body under to remain competitive had begun to take their toll and he needed a change of direction. He secured a well paid job which he enjoyed and two further children completed his family. He regarded his life as just about perfect.

When we lost touch, he was in his mid forties. He had developed arthritis, a legacy of his running days, but overcame it to such an extent that he played squash with me. His kids were older and they no longer needed baby sitters. His wife had gone back to work and he had progressed to a senior position with a bank and the money flowed in. They could, more or less, do exactly what they wanted to do when they wanted to do it and I am sure that in the intervening years, since we lost touch, the same pattern has been followed as that was his philosophy. He enjoyed his past, wouldn't change any of it, but wouldn't want to relive it either.

I have tried to follow the same life plan. I try to make the best of what I have, not what I had. I have regrets, we all have them and there are things I would love to change. I cannot, so there is no point in dwelling on them. I hope I can learn from my mistakes and move forward.

What has this to do with a good night out? I had a great night last night. For once in a blue moon, I cooked. We shared a bottle of wine. We watched Strictly Come Dancing and something else we had recorded and we then went to bed. if you are reading this and thinking "Jesus, I'll kill myself if I ever get that dull", console your self with this. If, you are very very lucky, you will learn to appreciate what you have and make the most of it. If you don't, life will be one long disappointment. Age has big compensations.

No comments:

Post a Comment