Thursday 29 September 2011

Erectile Disfunction

If ever there was a headline grabber, that is it (discounting Katie Price, Big Brother and the Beckhams). Do you know any man with this problem? I don't yet is it very common in men over 40 (and under) it seems. I suppose it is a brave man who will admit to anyone other than his partner (who might possibly have already guessed) that they "can't get it up".

Regular readers will have been probably both bored or interested in equal measure with my tweets and blog on the prostate cancer. As far as men are concerned, the big long term problem post op is E.D. The operation removes a precious part of the equipment that all men take for granted and it can depend on the skill of the surgeon whether full function is restored. Having said that, full function will never be restored as the organ  that produced seminal fluid is in a dustbin somewhere, gathering dust (for many men, just as it was before it was removed :)). Depending on the spread of the cancer, the nerves that supply the blood to enable erection can be spared or removed. In my case, as I delayed the operation by eighteen months, it spread into the nerves on one side,so they had to go.

Depending on the health authority you are under, drugs are administered six weeks after the operation to speed up the healing process and increase blood supply to the affected areas. Sad to say, many men have a battle to have these drugs prescribed, not a problem fortunately with my local health authority.

I must admit I was quite intrigued when I read the leaflet (or rather Janet did) to see what the effects and possible side effects are. One in particular reads "In the event of an erection lasting for more than four hours, you are advised to visit your local A & E department for treatment". I advised Janet that in the event of a four hour erection, I would be making my way down to the local girls sixth form college.

I am not embarrassed to be writing about this problem. I had no choice other than to have an operation and the possible ramifications afterwards. In some cases function never returns. That is a bleak prospect. O.K. at almost sixty, your best years are behind you but I liken the problem to having skis. I have a set of carvers which were expensive at the time, but, usually spend 51 weeks of the year in a cupboard. In the event of snow however, I at least have the option of using them. It's the same with sex. It may not happen very often, but if the opportunity arises (pardon the pun) I like to have the option.

It is early days for me. The average recovery times seems to be 12 to 18 months which seems a long way away right now. As a natural flirt I cannot pretend I don't miss the usual feelings but, at the moment, the relief at no longer having cancer outweighs everything else. One poster on a forum I visit has written that his wife has been completely unable to come to terms (again no pun intended) with his impotency and his marriage is struggling. If that is the case, his marriage couldn't have been as strong as he thought it was before his diagnosis.

You will be relieved to know (as will my wife) that I will not be posting regular updates on my progress. Some things are best kept behind closed doors. However, the more astute amongst you may one day notice a change in my posting style. Hopefully it will be sooner than later.

2 comments:

  1. A small part of me wanted to read this and not comment as it can be a sensitive area. I see it as, the more we share in respectful, the more we educate ourselves and others away from the text books. Reality.

    I had an operation years ago and differently from you had an option. I refused to let the surgeon remove my Cervix against his advice. Why? I didn't want to lose my orgasms. Of course if there wasn't an option I'd have had to live with it and be grateful I had a treatment much needed.

    We are not our body parts..Or are we? Adjustments are so very human aren't they.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Pammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no reason to be embarrassed any more than any man needs to be. A medical condition is what it is and we have to deal with it. I am sure I know men with the problem but it's just not pub talk fodder is it? Thanks for reading and sharing. It is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete