Thursday 4 April 2019

Just back from a visit to see the old feller. It's fair to say it was a little contentious.
After lively discourse explaining why we were there on a Tuesday (I was not aware that he had introduced an appointments system for visits) a sigh changed the direction of the conversation
Apparently I'd be as miserable as he is when I get to 95 (God forbid either eventuality) if my knees were as bad as his. At this juncture I pointed out for the umpteenth time that he refused operations for replacements some 15 years ago as "it wasn't worth it at my age" He replied with pointing out there there is nowhere in this place where he could hang himself. I checked and he was correct. I confirmed that the ceiling wasn't strong enough to take a hook and his bad knees would prevent him from climbing onto a chair anyway. He gave me a death stare.
Trying to be helpful I suggested to him the same outcome could result if he stopped taking the 20 plus pills he takes. "Bloody pills" he replied "They're useless. I have no idea why I take them". I asked him if he still had the epileptic fits. "What fits" he replied. "I've never had any fits". Janet and I then spent a few minutes describing the effect they had on him but he had no recollection of ever having them. We were wrong. The pills must work. To try and lighten a gloomy mood and lower my blood pressure (the room was now boiling hot) I asked him if he had any idea where his letter to his parents was, the one that he wrote during the war. After a few moments thought he said "You mean the one I sent from Italy?" "Yes" I replied. Da (His father) has it"
I pointed out that his dad died in 1963. He said that was the last time he heard about it. I pointed out I read it about five years ago when he lived in the flat. He asked me which half of the letter I had read. The part his dad had or the missing part. It took me a while to explain that I would have some difficulty reading the missing part. He called me a bloody idiot. He then said that Geordie (his brother) had it. I pointed out that Geordie had been dead for over ten years. After his reply to that I also had to remind him that Paddy was dead. I gave up on the letter. A typical visit to the home.

1 comment:

  1. If you're looking to lose kilograms then you absolutely have to start following this brand new custom keto meal plan diet.

    To create this keto diet, licenced nutritionists, personal trainers, and professional cooks have joined together to produce keto meal plans that are productive, decent, money-efficient, and satisfying.

    Since their launch in 2019, thousands of people have already remodeled their body and health with the benefits a smart keto meal plan diet can give.

    Speaking of benefits: clicking this link, you'll discover eight scientifically-certified ones provided by the keto meal plan diet.

    ReplyDelete