Sunday 17 June 2012

Fathers Day

I have seriously mixed feelings about fathers day. It's really a day I can't take part in. I have no actual children of my own. I inherited two boys on marrying for a second time and that was that.

I have a great relationship with the youngest boy (who is now older than we were when Jan and I got together) but none with the other though, there is little I could do about that. I do mention my grandchildren often in tweets and, although they have blood related grandparents, I am "Granddad" to them and they wouldn't have it any other way which, I suppose, contradicts the "blood is thicker than water" saying.

I took my own, 91 year old Dad, his card on Friday when we took him out for his weekly meal. My Dad wants to die. He has so many debilitating illnesses, life has little joy for him. He was born into a family of 10, spent 1941 to 1947 in the army and was back home to another family so, living alone, has not been easy for him, even though he copes well with the essential help of one of my sisters.

So, another fathers day comes and goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment